Friday, July 4, 2014

Newcastle Brown Ale

I went to have a Newcastle Brown Ale and thought I would look up my entry for it here on the blog. I couldn't believe I have never reviewed it on here! It must have been longer than I thought since I last had a Newkie Brown. Beginning in 1927, the beer was originally produced by Newcastle breweries in Newcastle Upon Tyne in England. However, it is now owned by Heineken and brewed at the Tadcaster Brewery in Tadcaster, England.  Maybe I've just gotten older (and more craft beer under the bridge), but I don't think this tastes the same as it did twenty years ago when I first drank it, not as good. I recall hearing that Newcastle had fairly unique water due to its mineral content and that may explain why the taste seems different.

The beer pours a dark chestnut brown in color, tints of burnt orange. There is a short off-white to very light tan head that disappears quickly. The aroma is very light, a touch of caramel malt, light plum fruit. The taste follows the aromas, is a bit nutty, and adds a light, pleasant, mineral finish, but not what it used to be. The beer is 4.7% ABV. I first tried this in Scotland in 1992. It was an amazingly good beer to me then. Now, after so many craft beers, it is rather blah, but still a nice old standby.


No comments:

Post a Comment