Saturday, November 1, 2014

Colt 45 Double Malt

Colt 45 not enough for you? Then how about a Double Malt? I first assumed this was a higher alcohol offering, but it appears its ABV is the same as regular Colt 45. Like most malt liquors and large nationwide brands, their website is totally lame, barely functions, and provides absolutely no information about the beer. Why is it the companies with the biggest budgets in the beer industry consistently have the worst websites?

The beer pours a very clear golden yellow in color. There is nearly an inch of pure white head. The aroma is golden grain, lightly malty, some straw, lightly sweet and fruity, no off notes whatsoever. The taste follows the aromas directly, lightly sweet, mostly grainy malt, no off notes, with a crisp and refreshing carbonation. As far as malt liquors go, this is damn good.

For purposes of my blog, I will pour malt liquors into a glass to better show their color and head, and to get at some of the aromas. I have not found any that do not suffer greatly by having their aromas revealed by pouring. Most are best consumed straight from the bottle or can. This is the only one I have run into that presented no off notes when poured into a glass. I had not had Colt 45 for quite some time, and when I recently had the regular, it was worse than I remembered.  I have not had the Double Malt in ages, and it is far superior to the regular. It is up there with OE 800, and almost all other malts pale in comparison. I'm not in any rush to try the Colt 45 High Gravity Lager again though.


No comments:

Post a Comment