Saturday, April 4, 2015

Zipline Black IPA

This is a 8.0% ABV dry-hopped black India Pale Ale from the Zipline Brewing Company of Lincoln, Nebraska. It is part of their "Brave New Brew" limited release series. I am conflicted by the black IPA style. I often move past it and get something else, basically because I find the style very hit or miss. A great black IPA is divine, but a mediocre one is quickly unpleasant.

The beer pours black in color, ruby and dark brown show through when held to the light. There is a tall, thick, foamy, somewhat creamy, head of light tan. The aroma is dark roasted malts and pine, weaving in and out of each other and becoming  hard to separate. The taste follows the aromas, big pine and big dark roasted malts merged into one tasty, unified whole, along with some spicy notes. The beer drinks medium bodied, subtle carbonation, smooth, with a very bitter and dry finish. This is one damn nice black IPA. As I don’t always like this style, I struggled at the store whether to get a four pack of this. Now I am glad that I did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment